Monday, June 22, 2009

ADI Day 41-42

Today was a full morning at the Cancer Centre. Nathan and I were there by 8:20am as he was to have blood work taken before treatment began. The nurses needed it back before his spinal treatment to ensure he didn't need blood products. Nathan did really well this morning. His counts came back with platelets, hemoglobin and neutraphils all in a respectable range so no blood products were needed. When Dr Ali examined Nathan today he listened and was very co-operative which made the morning go very easy. Dr Ali indicated he thought Nathan looked really good today which was nice to hear.

Nathan was famished when we got home before noon. Although we packed snacks he wasn't hungry at the clinic. So he had a good lunch and was tired so proceeded to watch a show while we cleaned up. Then he started to not feel well. I thought several times to myself in the morning that since he wasn't getting any treatment via a drip, he was likely not going to get the anti-nausea medication. And he didn't. Normally Arron and I would ask the nurses if Nathan was getting it or request he get it and today I put my trust in the medical system.

I gave him the Ondansatron at home but it was too late as it couldn't control the swells of nausea by this point and came up shortly after taking. Nathan was sick all afternoon. Shortly after 3pm he fell asleep while I was reading him a book only to wake to be sick again. Thank goodness he fell asleep and that seemed to settle his stomach. Trying to prepare for when he awoke, I called the nurses to ensure that we could give him gravel if he needed it to control the vomiting. Dr Ali returned my call and was surprised that Nathan was sick. This was the first time Nathan has thrown up - ever - in the course of treatment. He indicated Nathan should have received the Ondansatron in the morning and I said I was pretty sure he was never given the medication via his port. So he questioned the nurses while I was on the line. I was disappointed to find out he had written orders in Nathan's chart for him to receive it and the nurses decided he didn't need it. It taught me a valuable lesson and that is not to get too comfortable with the system. I thought about the anti-nausea pill several times and would have saved Nathan from a horrible afternoon had I simply ensured it was given. I won't make that mistake again.

Once Nathan was awake, we gave him Ondansatron again, this time with it staying down. He was able to have supper and had a good evening. You wouldn't have known that he spent the afternoon as he did by seeing him tonight. That is the great thing about kids - they bounce back quickly.

Carter's blood work came back today with his CBC normal and the Mono test negative. So whatever he had must be some type of virus. He had a good day as they were at Bull Dog Interactive this morning as a class and then wrote two exams when he returned to school as he missed them last week. He definitely is feeling better but appetite is still not back. When I asked him how his exams were his response was "Awesome!" It was nice to hear.

No comments: