Sheesh - what a way to start a new year. Last night Shelley fell asleep on the couch at about 10:30pm while watching a movie with Carter and I so we sent her to bed while he and I were going to make it to midnight. We went downstairs to play Wii and were having a little MarioKart fun when Shelley surprised us by coming down. Nathan had woken up shortly after 11pm and had a fever. We were told in the previous phase that if his temperature was over 38.5C we were supposed to go straight to the hospital. I called Dr Mpofu (he was the one on call) and he advised us to give Nathan Tylenol and if his fever subsides and stays down he would just check us out at the clinic on Thursday, however if his fever didn't subside or did and came back then we were supposed to straight into the hospital. Carter and I decided to call it a night in case I had to make a late trip to the hospital so we went to bed just before midnight missing that event. Thankfully the Tylenol worked and Nathan's fever dropped and didn't come back.
Unfortunately though it seemed like a real party night with drinking, bed switching and the whole bit! Nathan wanted to sleep with us after he had gotten up so we let him. Then about 1 am he had to go to the bathroom. After that I went to Nathan's empty bed. Justin wanted in on the action so he got up about 2am and had trouble going back to sleep. Shortly before 3am Nathan decided he had enough of our bed and wanted to go back to his, but first we had to have water and his Ondansetron. Justin still wasn't settled so he ended up in our bed where he proceeded to kick his Dad for an hour (I had just been evicted from Nathan's bed). Nathan was up again after 4 and then again at 5. I took that opportunity to move Justin back to his bed but that woke him up and it took quite a bit to get him to go back to sleep. Nathan was up for a bathroom break at 6 again and Justin was up at 8 to start his day and Shelley got up with him. Wow, it makes me even more tired writing all that out!
Nathan and I didn't get to sleep much longer as we had to get up and get ready to go the Cancer Clinic. Both Dr Mpofu and nurse Jan were there on their day off - Dr Mpofu to check Nathan out after my phone call from the night before and nurse Jan to give Nathan his Cytarabine and more Ondansetron. They also did a blood test on Nathan and Dr Mpofu said he would call if the blood work warranted us to bring Nathan back in otherwise he wouldn't call. Again, thankfully we didn't hear from him.
We got home and Nathan was tired, he didn't have breakfast and he didn't want dinner. He actually went straight back to bed. Carter said he was tired and went for a nap as well. We hurried to get Justin something to eat to see if we could get them all down at the same time but Carter got up while we were eating and joined us. I sent Shelley to bed right after dinner and Carter and Justin played for a bit before I put Justin down. Then Carter and I cuddled on the couch watching the hockey game as I couldn't fall asleep. Shelley got up after a couple hours, and Nathan shortly after - he had slept for another three hours. Justin slept for over two hours as well - so most of the family was well rested.
Our day was going well until supper time when Nathan developed another fever, this time of 39.2. I called Dr Mpofu again and he let us know that Nathan's blood work came back and was quite good with his white blood cells at 7.8. Again, he directed us to give Nathan Tylenol to see if we could control his fever. It took much longer for his temperature to come down this evening and we were actually preparing to have to go back to the hospital, however after a couple hours it was back down to 36.8 - now hopefully it stays down all night.
Tomorrow, at least what is planned right now, we will go to the Cancer Clinic for his Cytabarine and they are also going to do a bunch of tests to try to determine the cause of the fever. Dr Mpofu has ordered extra blood tests, urine analysis and a chest xray for tomorrow and again, hopefully everything comes back OK and we can go home. If there are any abnormalities Nathan will be admitted back into the hospital.
What a way to start a new year...
Thursday, January 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment